Details of the monument you have selected are shown below. Click on the image(s) of the monument (at the bottom of the page) to view a larger version (opens in new window). Please allow a few moments for the larger version to load; although every effort has been made to ensure the large images download quickly, internet speeds may vary depending on connection speeds. Click here to go back to your search results.
IN MEMORY OF HER HUSBAND
WHO WAS BORN AT WATERFOOT, MEARNS,
28TH JUNE 1800,
DIED AT MALLETSHEUGH,MEARNS,10TH JANUARY 1875
THOMAS CLARK HER SON
DIED 13TH OCTOBER 1878,
AGED 47 YEARS
The deceased William Clark was a member of an extensive family of farmers, auctioneers and livestock dealers who operated across the parishes of Mearns, Eaglesham and Carmunnock.
William’s parents James Clark and Janet Watson had lived in various parts of the aforesaid parishes while James carried on his profession of auctioneer and dealer. It was while the family were living at Waterfoot that William was to be born the second youngest in a family of seven children. Peculiarly, only one of those children was a girl, and from the remaining boys several were to enter the occupation of farming. As their father wasn’t skilled in farming the boys were allocated for training to other family members working farms in the area.
William was to take a wife named Agnes Pollok in 1825 and together they produced a healthy family of six children. The family appeared to have resided outwith the parish, probably in the nearby parish of Carmunnock, until 1852 when they were found occupying the farm of Nether Malletsheugh.
Nether Malletsheugh Farm lay just to the west of the village of Newton on the road between that village and Barrhead and was at that time a relatively small unit of forty acres. It appears that the farm was concerned with the raising and selling of horses rather than the traditional milk production common to the area. The farm did not employ a dairymaid which would indicate this factor pertained. Through time William Clark was able to purchase the farm earning the classification of landowner.
The farm continued under the control of William Clark Sen. until his death in 1875 aged seventy-five years, when the ownership transferred to his third son and namesake William Jnr. His widow Agnes and youngest son Hugh left the farm and moved into a nearby cottage.
Thomas Clark, mentioned on this memorial, was the eldest son of William and Agnes and followed his father into the trade of horse dealing. He married late in life to a Catherine Kerr in Carmunnock but there was no issue from this marriage. Thomas during the last three years of his life suffered from a cerebral condition which was the cause of his subsequent death. For a time he lived in both Newton House and Prospect House, Newton, both addresses owned by the Russell family to whom the Clarks were related by marriage, Thomas died aged forty-seven years in 1878 and was buried alongside his father in Mearns Kirkyard.